Associate PROFESSOR, Sociology (since 2010)
King's University College, Edmonton Alberta
Teaching courses in Canadian Society, Research Methods, Environmental Sociology, & Multicultural and Aboriginal Relations.
Research in community development - nonprofit groups, recreation and leisure, anti-racism, and environmental studies.
My focus is on applied sociological research, often based in Pierre Bourdieu's social theory of field, habitus, and the
interplay of various forms of social and symbolic capital.
The King's University College
PRINCIPAL, CSoP Research & Consulting, Ontario and Canada.
2001 - present.
Applied research WITH and FOR community organizations. (See the SAMPLE PROJECTS at the webpage immediately below.)
Nonprofit management consulting - strategic planning, executive coaching, organizational assessment.
CSoP Research & Consulting
LECTURER, School of Outdoor Recreation Parks and Tourism, Lakehead University, Thunder Bay, Ontario.
1999 - 2001.
Teaching of 3 undergraduate courses each term.
Supervision of undergraduate Honours theses.
Departmental and university
service as required.
DIRECTOR: Warwa Outdoor School/Camp Warwa Society, Darwell, Alberta.
1996 - 1999
* Administration of year-round environmental and adventure education program. Hired, trained and supervised 24 seasonal and
* Administered $250,000 capital and operating budget. Rescued organization from financial crisis. Orchestrated
dramatic increase in site-based revenue. Increased reserves from $6,000 to approximately $55,000 in two years.
in numerous grant proposals totaling more than $50,000 in two years.
SKI PATROL DIRECTOR: Elk Meadows Resort, Beaver Utah.
* Oversaw resort safety, on-hill operations and emergency response, establishing volunteer patrol and integrating 30 paid
and volunteer patrollers.
* Reduced department costs by 40% while upgrading quality of patrol.
* Recruited, trained
and supervised volunteer and paid patrollers.
CONTRACT OUTDOOR INSTRUCTOR: 1985-1996
Pacific Crest Outward Bound School, California & Oregon.
Campus Outdoor Centre. Edmonton, Alberta.
Wilderness Centre. Sherwood Park, Alberta.
Oregon Episcopal School. Portland, Oregon.
Naturalists at Large. Southern
Sequoia Wilderness Institute. Cedar City, Utah.
Deerhill Summer Expeditions. Mancos, Colorado.
Memorial Camp. Fulton, Ohio.
Reachout Expeditions, Anacortes, Washington.
National Wildlife Federation Wildlife Camp.
Hendersonville, North Carolina.
YOUTH COUNSELOR: Mamawintoutaan/Mennonite Central Committee, La Ronge, Saskatchewan. 1988-1990.
* Counseled youth in multicultural Cree/Dene/white community.
* Established and ran youth activity centre with organized
* Liaised with schools, churches, social agencies and the La Ronge Indian Band.